20 Outdated Occupations That Have Bitten the Dust

Remember switchboard operators, rag-and-bone men and video store clerks? Robots may be stealing jobs left, right and center nowadays, but plenty of professions have vanished over the years as society has changed and technology has progressed.

Here are 20 occupations from way back when that no longer exist.

1 23 ... 21ยป

Related Articles More from author

9 Comments

1. Jane L Polley says

And aren’t we thankful that these occupations are no longer needed !!

2. Benjamin H. Campbell says

One of the biggest trades of all – Type setters, linotype operators, and many that composed a newspaper operation when hot type needed to be cast to form the copy. In addition, thousands upon thousands of little mom and pop job shops to produce letterheads, etc. There were literally millions employed in the newspaper printing industry and the job shops that are no longer needed. At it’s peak the Birmingham News where I worked as a type setter for many years needed at least 300 workers daily in the composing room. When lithography came to the industry, the paper could be produced with only about 15 workers.

3. Janet says

Thank you for putting this piece together. I had heard of some of these occupations but having the pictures along with the information was quite charming and informative!

4. Debbie says

My father delivered telegrams for Western Union when he was a teenager. His father died in the flu epidemic of 1918-19 and he needed to help provide income for the family. In the 1960s, I worked a switchboard at my boarding school.

5. Leslie says

Enjoyed these photos and stories very much!
    I can remember when I was very young, living in a suburb of Chicago, and picking up the phone to the voice of an operator: “Number, please”.

6. Linda says

Re the knocker-uppers. I was born in 1951 in the north of England (county of Yorkshire). At the time of my birth my father had just begun a seven year apprenticeship with British Ropes and I can clearly remember the knocker-upper still coming around when I was six or seven or perhaps even older. Only he didn’t knock on the door but had a longer stick to reach up and tap on my parents’ bedroom window, the idea being not to disturb the whole household. However, we lived in a new, post-war council estate and the walls were quite thin. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Shirley Mickey says

I was a long distance telephone operator, for the Pacific Telephone Co! Operators were for out of town, and you dialed “O”, and for out of state, you had to ask for “long distance” and get transferred to me! My branch handled Hollywood, and the movie stars! Some of them were really fun, and some were NOT! We’ve come a long ways!

8. wildduck says

The rat catchers are making a comeback in some US cities. Pretty sad that they are coming back.

1. Velocity says

Thanks for the democrat liberal mayors & councilman there cities they represent are trashed due to their liberal ways!